<body>

Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Kiasu-nya


There is a certain level of kiasu-ness in everybody. I have it and of course you do too. But there is no denying that the level of kiasu-ness that Singaporeans have achieved are way surpassed anyone else. I mean who in the right mind would queue up for half an hour just to buy a box of freaking donuts? Who would barge in and force their way into a train which is packed like a can of sardines when the next train is arriving in 5 minutes?

Ah, yes I have endured this many many times in my short stay in Singapore. I am not pissing anyone off by typing this, its just comes from my experience.  

So these are among the various incidents that happened to me in the MRT. 

Incident #1:

This happened to me when I was leaving the MRT; the people in front of me were walking at snail's pace probably because there was a disabled man in front of us. This aunty scolded them in Mandrain:
'Slow slow slow! You not scared the door close on you ah?'
Well anyone with half a brain would know that MRT doors do not close on you. 
This is probably because this delicate system is man-handled by the MRT driver?
Oh, well maybe she wanted to give the others behind her a chance to go out as well.
What a kind woman.

Incident #2:

This happened to me when i was walking towards the MRT. I just glimsped back for a second and when I turned in front I heard a slapping sound and felt pain on my left cheeck. I was dumbfounded and realised that a random guy just hit my face as he was walking past me. Hmm maybe he was rushing for another bus as he didn't have the time to apologise. Or maybe he was rushing because he thought that the world was going to end. Yeah, thats probably right, it makes total sense. 
So, I will check back in a few days and see if the world is in critical danger. 
For his sake it better be. 

So just like that, todays word of the post will be kiasu.

Kiasu

1) A very Cina term for the fear of "losing out" to other people.
2) Being greedy.. very very greedy...

Ok so thats it for now. Watch out for my next post/rant.

Goodbye.
Written at 3:28 PM



Me

~Hello =)~
I'm Alex
This is nuts
I'm Nuts


Tagboard



Old

Oh, Nuts


Older

July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
December 2008



Links

Radzif
Fahmi
Bryan
Yu Ker